red gram (thoovar) dal – 1/2 cup
pink lentil (masoor) dal – 1/2 cup
green gram (moong) dal – 1/2 cup
garlic paste – 1 tsp
turmeric powder – 1 tsp
eggs – 4
mustard oil – 4 to 5 tbsp
tomato – 1, chopped
onion – 1 cup, chopped finely
green chilies, chopped – 2
salt to taste
- Wash all the dals, add enough water, garlic paste, and turmeric simmer till very soft.
- (A pressure cooker will save time).
- Add salt and mash well.
- Hard boil the eggs, peel and prick with a tooth pick all over.
- (This is to prevent them from bursting while frying)
- Heat the oil in kadai. Add onion and fry tilllight brown.
- Add tomatoes and fry till they are reduced to a pulp.
- Add the eggs and continue frying till the eggs are roasted and the onion mixture is brown.
- Add chilies and about 1/2 cup of water.
- Add salt to taste. Simmer gently for 10 minutes.
- Add the dal. If the mixture is too thick, add a little water.
- Give one boil and remove from heat.
- Serve with steamed rice.