1 cup broken wheat (dalia)
1/2 cup moong dal (split green gram)
1/2 cup chana dal (split bengal gram)
2 to 3 whole dry kashmiri red chillies
a pinch of turmeric powder (haldi)
1/4 cup grated carrot
1/4 cup grated cucumber
1/4 cup finely chopped onions
1/4 cup freshly grated coconut (optional)
a few curry leaves (kadi patta)
few coriander (dhania) leaves
1 tsp mustard seeds ( rai / sarson)
a pinch of asafoetida (hing)
1/2 tbsp lemon juice
salt to taste
2 to 3 tsp oil
1. Combine both the dals together and soak in enough water for 1 hr.
2. Drain and blend in a mixer along with red chillies, turmeric and salt to a coarse paste.
3. Pour the mixture in a thali and steam for 5-10 minutes.
4. Keep aside.
5. Combine the broken wheat with salt and enough water and pressure cook till done. Keep aside.
6. Heat oil in a kadai, add mustard seed, asafoetida and curry leaves.
7. When the seeds crackle, add the cooked dal and saute till the paste becomes powdery.
8. Add the cooked dalia and saute for 5 minutes.
9. Remove from flame, add the lemon juice, grated carrot, cucumber, coconut and onion and mix will.
10. Garnish with coriander leaves and serve.