– Chicken, large pieces, preferably leg and thigh pieces – 500 gms
To be marinated with:
– Salt-1/2 tsp or to taste
– Turmeric powder- 1/4 tsp
– Red Chilli powder- 1.5 tsp
– Cumin powder-1/2 tsp
– Whisked curd/yogurt- 4 tbsp
To be boiled in 2 cups of water for 5 mins, strained & blended to a paste:
– Boiled Water-2 cups
– Onion- 1 medium onion cubed
– Ginger- 1” piece chopped
– Garlic cloves- 6
– Cashew nuts- 4
– Green chillies, halved- 2 small
Whole garam masala/ spices for tempering:
– Green cardamom- 2
– Cloves- 3
– Javitri (Mace)- 1/4 piece
– Black peppercorns- 8
– Bay leaf- 1
– Kashmiri Chilli powder- 1/2 tsp
– Coriander powder-2 tsp
– Garam masala powder- 1/2 tsp (Link to our Garam Masala Recipe: https://youtu.be/1trtejl8hwM)
– Tomato purée- 3 tbsp
– Fresh cream- 3 tbsp
– Kasuri Methi roasted and powdered- 1 tsp
– Salt for seasoning- 1/8 tsp (a pinch)
– Oil- 3 tbsp
– Marinate the chicken pieces with the items indicated. Mix well and set aside in room temperature for an hour.
– Boil 2 cups of water in a sauce pan and add the items indicated above. Mix with a spoon and continue to cook for another 5 mins. Drain the items and allow it to cool. Transfer to a blender and blend it to a paste.
– Heat oil in a kadai/pan and add the whole spices. Give a stir and add the blended paste.
– Mix well and fry on medium heat (switching to low heat off and on) for around 5 mins.
– Now add the Kashmiri Chilli powder, Coriander powder, Garam masala powder, tomato purée and a pinch (1/8 tsp) of salt. Mix well & cook on low heat for 2-3 mins.
– Now add the marinated chicken, mix well & fry on high heat for 5 mins. Continue to fry it, stirring it occasionally for another 3 mins on medium heat.
– Now simmer it on low heat for another 2-3 mins till oil separates.
– Add 1/2 cup water, mix and cover & cook on low heat for around 15 mins.
– Once done, add the cream & the roasted, powdered Kasuri Methi.
– Mix well and simmer for 2 mins till oil separates.
Ref: YouTube – Py8d-SkuQVI
Leave a Reply